The Falconer

Central Starts Early

How do the Falcons feel about losing part of their summer?

Zach Stewart

Zach Stewart

Megan Soliday, Staff Writer

Unlike the previous years, next school season students will be jumping into their year early. How is this big adjustment affecting students lives and their summers?

“It’s like a month of my childhood being taken away,” Sophomore Sasha Hoover said, “However, once we get used to it, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal.”

Although many people may look at the idea of having a short summer as a negative, some teachers have a different opinion. English and Journalism teacher, Mr. McCarthy says that he likes the idea of beginning earlier because it will help with studying and taking the SOLs. “Academically speaking it’s better for the students,” McCarthy stated while talking about the perks of moving the school date. Surprisingly, even some of the students are thinking positively about the decision. Especially those who are moving into their senior year, as next year they will be getting out of school and having one short summer won’t bother them as much.

“As a senior next year I’m not as upset about the date,” Skylar Grear said after being asked if the change of date affected her. She went on to say that she would be getting out of school next year, and would have a long summer before college starts. Sophomore Mikayla Helsley wasn’t so excited for the change. She said that next year she’s not going to like it but the following year, when she’s a senior, she won’t mind as much.

However, some of the students personal lives will be affected by this change. “It interferes with my flight school,” Madi Nichols replied, she went on to say that this really bothered her, and she’s not looking forward to the big adjustment.

Miaya Rodriguez thinks that the transition won’t be easy for Central’s staff either. “It’s harder on the teachers,” she said, “because they will have to take a week off for the fair.” She continued to say that this might be difficult for everyone to get used to. So it’s not only going to be an adjustment for Central’s students, but for the faculty and school board. In conclusion, a change of date has mixed emotions for everyone in the school. Its effect depends on the students and teachers attitudes. Even though it is a huge change to get used to, Central Falcons will eventually embrace the new adjustment.