The Falconer

Filed under Student Life

Get involved

Central High School has many clubs, but some go unnoticed. Here are a few you may not know.

FCA
FCA stands for Fellowship of Christian Athletes; its primary focus is teamwork, excellence, integrity, and serving. The vision of FCA is “to see the world impacted for Jesus Christ through the influence of coaches and athletes. FCA is not just for coaches and athletes; it’s also for anyone who loves and supports sports. Mr. Shockey is the advisor for FCA.

GSA
GSA stands for Gay-Straight Alliance. GSA provides a safe space for anyone who feels like they aren’t supported or comfortable with people who have different views. GSA has set a goal to help prevent bullying and help create a broader acceptance around the school. GSA is lead by sophomore Adele Roulston and encourages new members to join if interested. Meetings take place in Ms. Eash only on the fourth Friday of every month.

TAB
TAB stands for Teen Advisory Board. Its essential focus is to educate people about domestic violence and rape. Their goals are to raise awareness on sexual harassment among the youth at Central High School. Anyone is welcome to join, so if you are interested, TAB has club meetings every second Friday during second lunch in Mrs. Corbitt’s room.

SADD
SADD stands for Student Against Destructive Decisions. Its prime focus is to bring awareness to any and all destructive decisions and to serve as support. The goal for SADD this year is to get their name out since they are a small club. SADD wants students to know that they have an organization that understands and supports them no matter what. They have meetings on the fourth Friday during first lunch in Room 209. If you are interested, contact Miss Covington for further details.

Generation 4:13
This club gets its name from the bible verse Philippians 4:13 which says, “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” The club calls themselves Generation 4:13 because they believe that the youth of this generation need to rely on God for their strength. Its goal is to provide a place for Christian students to fellowship together. They meet the second Friday of each month during second lunch, and they usually also meet on the fourth Friday during first lunch.
They focus mainly on Bible study, fellowship and community outreach. If you are interested, contact Mrs. Derflinger in Room 123; anyone is welcome to join.

Join a club or start your own.

Not only can you join all these great clubs, but you can even start your own and here’s how. First, you will need a staff member to sponsor your club. Then, you will need approval from Ms. Hensley by creating by-laws for and about the club. Mrs. Hensley herself could answer any further questions. You can contact her by email or just by stopping by her office.