The Falconer

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Honesty apps opt for positivity

Apple iTunes Store

Apple iTunes Store

“Never ceases to amaze me,” “Friendliest person,” “Most likely to get a star on the Hollywood walk of fame,” and other compliments like this are the reason TBH is so popular. TBH is a new app, where the user is prompted with a positive statement and given a choice of four friends who are also on the app. You then choose which friend you think the statement applies to most. From there the user can continue to play, see what other people said about them, or see what people said about their friends. TBH is currently the top free app on the Apple app store, and it seems to be taking the world by storm.

“I downloaded the app because I saw a lot of people were posting it on their Snapchat stories,” freshman Ashley Jennelle said. “I really like this app because it’s different in the way that it is positive. A lot of apps nowadays aren’t the most positive. Apps such as Sarahah make it easy for people tear other people down. With this app, it encourages people to compliment others and make others feel good about themselves.”

Parents might be skeptical as to whether this app is good for their children. But unlike most honesty apps, TBH’s polls are monitored for negativity. TBH’s purpose is to build users up and to create a more positive environment. The polls are submitted by users but have to be approved before they are used.

“In one day it went from having 0 users to having almost 100,” Jennelle said.

Another thing that sets TBH apart from Sarahah is that you can only choose from people that you added and who then added you back. This eliminates the risk of strangers and helps you to have more genuine compliments.

“I think it’s definitely spreading positivity,” freshman Annie Kate Walsh said. “Some people don’t want to say positive things to other people’s faces, but this is giving them a way to say nice things, and since all of the questions are all positively based, I think it’s a really nice thing to have.”

TBH has a couple of poll categories you might encounter. There are “crush” questions, straight up superlatives and flat out weird polls, as well as sweet compliments and predictions of success.

“I kinda like how people think that you’re actually gonna become something,” freshman Trey Grant said.“Pretty much stuff that says people think you’re gonna be successful.”

“Getting a compliment on TBH makes me feel noticed,” Jennelle said.

Whether we choose to believe it or not, we all want to feel acknowledged. TBH can help to generate self-confidence and help boost self-esteem. In an era where hate seems to be more prevalent than love. This app can encourage us all to create a more collaborative community, and help us to spread kindness. Even if this app fades out as quickly as it came to fruition, it’s safe to say, it made a temporary impact that could last a lifetime.