The Falconer

• The Nationals lose to the Cubs, final score 9-8.

• Monday, October 16-- Tailgate @5:30 / Powderpuff @7-9 CHS football field

• Wednesday, October [email protected] Cafeteria

• Thursday, October [email protected] starts at Ben Franklin's/Bonfire 7-9pm @ CHS

• Friday, October 20--Homecoming game vs George Mason @ 7pm

• Saturday, October 21--Homecoming dance 7-10pm

New drivers listen up!

Thue/Wikimedia Commons

Deziyre Lake-Tusing, Staff Writer

One small mistake and everything changed 

It was one of those moments where everything seemed magical. It was the perfect night with the most beautiful people all around. Precious time was spent putting makeup on, fixing and dolling each other’s hair up and taking thousands of pictures with every pose imaginable.

From eight to eleven at night, my friends and I shared laughter, took selfies, and danced around like fools. We weren’t worried about anyone around us. We were thrilled to be there, and, without a doubt, we made one of the most stressful events of the year into one of the most memorable.

Following prom was the fun-filled, adventurous and exciting activities of CHS After Prom. For about six hours, my group and I played games, walked around the school, ate different foods, admired the decorations displayed and wasted our night away.

When the CHS After Prom ended, we were not ready to go home. Regardless of how tired we all were, we decided to drive over to Mt. Jackson and eat at Denny’s. Don’t get me wrong, the food tasted delightful, but unfortunately for us, we were exhausted and in need of sleep. After leaving Denny’s, my group and I followed each other home to make sure everyone would be okay. I was the last car in the queue, blasting my music to stay awake. One minute everything seemed fine, but then I noticed how the car in front of me, driven by one of my best friends, gradually drifted across into the opposite lane of traffic. I didn’t know what she was doing, but before I knew what was happening, her car crashed into a pole.  I immediately turned my car around, put it in park and ran to her.

The condition of the car was damaged beyond repair. Broken glass was all over the inside of the vehicle and on the grass.”

My friend and I were both hysterical, in shock and crying. She didn’t seem to know what had happened, so I told her what I had seen. We were both very upset and couldn’t bring ourselves to fully calm down. We both called our parents and explained the situation, and thankfully, help was on the way almost immediately. Despite everything that had just happened to her, my friend was okay and luckily she walked away from the crash unhurt. That day has never left my mind. We were all tired that night, and one of us almost lost our lives, which is exactly why driving safely cannot be stressed enough.

That day has never left my mind. We were all tired that night, and one of us almost lost our lives.  This is exactly why driving safely cannot be stressed enough.

Why driving safely is important

New drivers, do not make ignorant mistakes that can cost you greatly. Drive intelligently and be aware of all your surroundings once you’re on the road. You have a car,  you want to look cool. Every other teenage and adult driver gets it. Please keep your phone far from reach. Texting and driving can lead to serious damage to yourself or another person. Drive with energy but not when you’re drained of it. And most importantly,  please, please, please wear your seatbelts at all times. There are speed limits for a reason; you need to sincerely obey them. Make sure you are familiar with the interior controls of your vehicle and adjust your seat and mirrors properly.  You’ll struggle quite frequently if you can’t figure out how to work your windshield wipers or turn your lights on at night.

Be cautious of all the unpredictable occurrences around you. Other people drive on the road as well. Therefore, you can never truly know what their full intention is while they’re driving. As easy as it is to become distracted while driving, be smart on the road. You’re young, new to this, and you’re held to higher standards with this newly developed responsibility. Drive safe. Car damages can easily be repaired. Your life, not so much.