The Falconer

Another article about Donald Trump and the impending apocalypse

Emissions from a coal-fired power plant drift skyward in Ghent, Ky., June 2, 2014. In one of the strongest actions ever taken by the United States government to fight climate change, the Obama administration proposed an Environmental Protection Agency regulation on Monday to cut carbon pollution from the nation's power plants 30 percent from 2005 levels by 2030. (Luke Sharrett/The New York Times)

LUKE SHARRETT/The New York Times

LUKE SHARRETT/The New York Times

Zach Stewart, Staff Writer

First things first: The protection of our environment is not just some expensive way to forward the liberal agenda. It is an essential aspect for the safety of future generations and the survival of the planet. Although we do live in a time where basic facts are being argued, it is nearly impossible to deny the dangers of climate change, especially as it goes unaddressed at a national and global level.

Advancing environmental protection will be ever more difficult under the Trump administration. The head of the Environmental Protection Agency, Scott Pruitt, was a strong opponent of Obama’s efforts in environmental safety by trying to block plans combating climate change, airborne mercury and smog, and even states in his bio on his website that he is “a leading advocate against the EPA’s activist agenda”. Trump himself has Tweeted that “the concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive”. He has also recently stated his plan to kill the Clean Power Plan and to not uphold the U.S.’s end to the Paris Agreement.

The global agreement to enact major emission and energy reform would have much needed positive effects on the environment, but requires around 100 billion dollars in contributions from well developed countries to aid countries that could not meet the new standards on their own. Considering the new administration has already defunded the National Endowment for the Arts, it is unlikely they will contribute to the agreement especially because the money is not going to the U.S. and there are no real enforcement clauses in the agreement. It is thought that if the U.S. does end up backing out, the remaining countries would continue but the lack of American involvement would be a major hindrance to its success. With the U.S. second only to China in emission production, any headway made would still be heavily impacted in a negative way by the U.S not participating.

However, over 360 companies and investors signed an open letter to Trump asking him to continue participation in the Paris Agreement and to invest in a “low carbon economy at home and abroad.” It alone is a strong message to Trump, but being that he was a businessman, it makes their message that much more powerful. These companies range from Hewlett Packard, Dupont, and Unilever to Nike, eBay, and Starbucks.

Many of these companies have invested in clean energy and look to use renewable energy sources in an effort to make and save money. While their motives were rooted in economic gain, and not necessarily in environmental protection, their support is still important to the advancement of clean energy.

Hopefully Trump is able to at least see the possible economic gains of pursuing clean energy, despite being ignorant to the environmental ones.