The Falconer

Benefits of Choral Groups

Taylor Cooper, Staff Writer

Whether it be along to the radio, in the shower, or in your bedroom using a hairbrush as a microphone, most everyone sings. Many people even become aware of the positive effects it has. Studies have found that singing improves your mental state; it makes you happy and better off, especially when done in groups.

When you sing in a choir or a band it makes you feel like you’re part of something bigger, something more. You feel at home, like they are your family, and you feel ecstatic when you finally get that harmony right and it sounds amazing when all of the parts are sung together. You take something solely unique to you and share it with others to make something much more complex and beautiful. In addition, a bond can be formed with one another, much deeper than you ever thought something as simple as singing in a group of people could create.

Science also proves that singing brings joy. This is thought to be because singing releases endorphins which are a hormone associated with pleasure. It could also be oxytocin, which is a hormone known to reduce anxiety and stress, also strengthening trust and bonding which helps feelings of depression and loneliness vanish. Singers have been shown to have low levels of cortisol, which signifies lower stress. The best part about it is that you don’t even have to be a ‘good singer’ to have these positive benefits. Group singing is more affordable than therapy, better for you than drinking, and a lot more fun than spending hours on end at a gym.

If you were to go in and watch the CHS Concert Choir either during third block or before school, you wouldn’t see a class and a teacher. You wouldn’t see students overrun with work, you wouldn’t see students struggling without any help from the teacher. You’d see a family. A family where if someone is struggling, you don’t need to scrape up the courage to ask the teacher, you can just turn to your section and ask. A family where the teacher doesn’t move on without checking that everyone is good and okay with whatever was just gone over. Kaitlyn Hunsberger, the high school choir director, pushes you to the limit and holds you there, accepting nothing less than the best you can do. This type of relationship, between a choir and its director, is what triggers happy hormones in everyone when working together as a whole.

“I’ve thought about quitting,” Mackenzie Oliff, a junior said, “but then I think about saying ‘Hi’ to all of [the choir students] every morning… People say teams are only for sports but we’re a team. We’re a family.” Senior Melissa Lanham, who’s been here with Hunsberger from the start, stated, “There is no judgement within the class. Singing in the choir can make me feel whole.” It’s not just about the singing, it’s about how it creates a positive feeling within a group of people that draws them together. They may not be related by blood, but something about a choir makes it a family.