The Falconer

A Conversation with @CHSwallflowers

Mackenzie Oliff, Staff Writer

On Saturday January 7, an anonymous account, affiliated with Central High School, reared it’s ugly head, and began posting rumours about students anonymously. Whether the rumours were true or not, no one can be sure. However, the tweets and pictures were becoming more and more intense as the night went on.

Although the hate pages began to grow, two students started a page that strives to do the exact opposite. @CHSwallflowers post compliments anonymously for people who attend Central. As soon as they made their first tweet, the positivity spread like wildfire.

This account made it very clear that if any hate was sent to them, that person would be blocked and go unnoticed. If you want to leave a compliment for someone, you can message the accounts on Twitter and tell them who you want to encourage, and what you want to say. Then they will tag the person and post it without your name attached.

The Falconer direct messaged the account, hoping to get some information as to why they started their page and if they are planning on continuing to compliment people at Central. They preferred to remain anonymous throughout the interview.

Why did you start the wallflower account?

We figured with all of the hate pages going on, someone would need a positive page to look forward to when they checked social media. We didn’t think our page would turn out the way it did. We haven’t had our page up that long, but we’ve already had a positive impact on others.

What do you think the motivation of the other negative accounts is? Why are they posting gossip?

Most likely to start rumors and unnecessary drama that doesn’t matter now and won’t matter later on in life. We think they find it humorous just to be mean. It’s childish and immature. And quite frankly, it’s sad.

Why do you want to remain anonymous?

We choose to be anonymous due to the pure fact that it’s easier to say something to someone “without a face.” We feel as though if someone knew who we were they wouldn’t send in the lovely messages that we get! I know personally that some of the things that we post I could never say to someone in person because I’m crazy shy. The definition of a wallflower is a person who has no one to dance with or who feels shy, awkward, or excluded at a party, so basically someone who doesn’t stand out it in a crowd. Someone who is anonymous.

What message are you trying to convey? If you are trying to say one thing to everyone, what is it?

Time is too precious to be anything but positive towards one another. Our generation is so fixed on bringing others down to make themselves feel better, and it’s discouraging. We just want to spread love and positivity to our friends in hopes to make their days better.

What do you get out of this?

We used to be really hard on ourselves, and we were really insecure. We see how individuals put themselves down and felt motivated to encourage others that they are enough, that they do matter, and that they are important. When we make an impact on someone’s life, it honestly warms our heart. We’re also happy about all of the positive feedback we’ve had. We’re most definitely going to continue being the wallflowers of CHS.

I think the overall idea of these pages is that one day we will be able to put away the labels and realize that we are not really all that different. In fact, we are so alike; often in ways we try hard not to see, because when you’re alone, you can only hurt yourself. The isolation, although it seems inevitable and big, is oftentimes not even there.

The simple fact is that although we are alone in our personal struggles and the ways in which we deal with them, we are not alone in the sense that other people are feeling the same things we are, all the time. We are all given the choice to help or to hide.

For some reason, as a school, I am not confident in saying that we know this to be true. The moment we start teaching that we are doing everything together, and people start understanding it, is the moment we can move forward. Until then, we are moving backwards, and in slow motion, creating generations of people hurting other people because they’re hurting themselves.

These pages are simply just a reminder of a bigger message that all teens are facing these days: acceptance. Online bullying is still a huge issue, and I think it’s incredibly hard for teachers to decide where to draw the line, seeing as most hateful tweets are posted at home. However, it seems as if we all know that there needs to be more focus on why it’s important to spread kindness, as it has been proven many times before: love trumps hate.